July 14, 2024

Dance: Wild Wild Westie 2024 (7/5-7/2024)

 I went to Wild Wild Westie 2024, an West Coast Swing (WCS) event at Hyatt Regency DFW international Airport Hotel, Dallas. The same place as the Holiday Tango event last year.


Instead of reporting event details, following is my thoughts that came up during the event.

WCS is a rapidly evolving dance. I was curious what kind of changes I would observe this year.


I. 

The energy level of the floor was high, with many dancers in their 20's and 30's. Although WCS events have become contest-focused events, there was plenty of time for social dance with willing partners.


So, fun was still there for someone like me who is interested in dancing with anyone, but not interested in doing contest with random partners of varying preparedness for dancing for entertainment/viewing pleasure. Too much of the luck of the draw.


II. 

Social dance was good. I loved it. 


III. 

On the social and contest floor, what I saw was;

(a) swing dance with more 3-dimensional swing orbit, compared with previous (classical?) 2-dimensional swing motion on a linear track/slot, and 

(b) leads with unattractive, overactive frame.


I liked the 3-D swing motions, but not the look of leads with overactive frame, who were about 95% of all leads.

I don't think I'd use overactive frame style any time soon. Not for me. Aesthetic choice.


IV.

Direction of social dance evolution is influenced by a number of factors including; (i) how the dance is taught, (ii) how current champions dance, and (iii) how easy or fun it is to do it.

Regarding (iii), there are highly athletic top pro-followers who can merge gymnastic moves to WCS. Their ways of dancing are unlikely to be done by the most, simply because the moves are too difficult for the most. 


(iv) Another detail is more widespread inclusion of axis-based moves.

I've thought that merging axis-based dances (we see the moves often in Ballet and Tango) with WCS is tricky, because WCS basics are one-two and triple, with moving feet and hovering center.

But moves like one foot spin (taking time to "dance" instead of keep moving) opened the possibility of adopting and merging axis-based moves from Tango or Ballet. (My opinion). 


Moves formerly frowned upon in "classical WCS" (e.g., non-linear slot, showy moves from other dances, intentional disconnect/reconnect) can be done in "modern WCS".

That is wonderful (provided that they are done well and looking good).



[My attire: Gold shoes and shiny shirt]


PS 1

I noticed that some of the moves recently introduced to WCS can be refined. A WCS move in which she stands on an axis in a lunge and he runs around to present her, is basically a layman's version of the same axis, pivot spin of stage Argentine Tango.

 I am hoping to see someone bringing refinements in the move to WCS contests.


PS 2

As my summer project is ballet, I checked out a "modern ballet" class in the event. 

There was an outstanding ballerina. I loved the way she move and thought she was a real deal. In the world of sport (including dances), stars who can attract eyes exist. This kind of awe is what I really love.