June 28, 2024

Dance: 2024 Summer project=Ballet

 I picked Ballet as my 2024 Summer project. I am "doing my research on" various but select aspects of the art of Ballet.


When I investigate an art, I do my research with a focus on (a) Basics, (b) the highest outcomes/performances, and (c) how the art is taught (teaching and culture).


For research purpose, I bought some materials (planning to add more as needed).


Books:

For Basics, Children's books:

   Ballet for Beginners (Marie-Laure Medova)

  The Ballet Book; the young performer's guide to classical dance (Bowes and Kain)

  The Ballet Book (Darcy Bussell)


For theories and detailed technical manuals:

   The Cecchetti Method of Classical Ballet: Theory and Technique (Beaumont and Idzikouski)

   Basic Principles of Classical Ballet: Russian Ballet Technique (Agrippina Vaganova)

(Vaganova and Cecchetti were big bosses of Russian and Italian schools of Ballet. Their books would be worth checking out.)



For learning teachers' viewpoints and dance culture

   The Ballet Book: Learning and Appreciating the Secrets of Dance (American Ballet Theater)

   Be the Dance Teacher They Remember: From Dancing to Teaching, Classical Ballet Pedagogy in Practice (Candace Egbert)

   Auditions, Competitions, and Intensives: Why, When, What to Expect (Dawn Crouch)


Others:

There is a Ballet-themed manga "Dance Dance Danceur".

Mangas usually don't work well to pick up techniques and skills, but can be great at learning culture, and are great for enjoying the characters and the story. The manga is ongoing one, but so far is quite enjoyable. I learned "Caught" idea there.



Videos: Performing art can be learned best from performances.
  New York City Ballet workout

  Performance videos in YouTube, both classical (Tchaikovsky etc) and contemporary (Bejart, Polunin). Research can be a numbers game.


I understood a few points, including that (a) leg turnout is a critical "body building" for Ballet, (b) the leg turnout allows clean extended lines, balance, and leg motions from the hips characteristic to Ballet, (c) when combined with foot styling and pointe shoes, Ballet dancers can really extend their limb lines for a theatrical effect, and (d) great number of Ballet moves are built on the basic Five positions.


That would mean, I will have to work on the five positions and basics first, until I can do them clean on Bar (with support) and on center of the floor (without support).


 Hence, I set my summer project goal for just that; clean five positions and basic moves.


 My current turnout is about 150 degree. While I work on turnout, I'd also pay attention to leg lines in straight and in bent positions (plie/demi-plie).

Ballet poses are highly influenced by natural body type and built-in anatomy. I acknowledge my genetics and anatomy. 

It may sound strange but I see some similarities to body building. We all got genetics and unique body to work with. Much like going to gym and lift to build muscles, after practicing the art, I'd want to see some visible difference in my movements.


Arabesque is one of my "nice to have" Ballet poses. On trial, the pose was not easy for me. I can lift a leg to 45 degree. After engaging back muscle, I can take it up to 90 degree (close to parallel to the floor). But Mrs. Vaganova says "no less than 90 degree". I'll see how I can progress from there.




What I am not going to do for this summer project is to be too ambitious.

No injury-prone moves like Polunin-style high leap (might try in swimming pool, though). No pointe shoes or tutu (they are for girls anyway). No joining Summer camp by professional ballet (OKC Ballet is having a workshop for adult, but no).



While I learn the theories, practice the basic moves, and watch impressive performances, I'll have better appreciation for the art of Ballet. 

That is the outcome I am aiming at for this summer project.




To be honest, Ballet dancers do not always make great social partner dancers (by social partner dance, I mean something like ballroom and party Latins, not Pas de deux). 

Ballet dancers are great at "ability and techniques" to move their own body. But "interactive and improvisational" social partner dance skills are not central to the art of Ballet, it seems, and that can come as a weakness. "Interactive and improvisational" belong to a different domain of dancing.

Of course there are all around great dancers among ballet pros. As trained athletes, they are not "regular people" at all.